New name for News UK department
News UK press release – 15 December, 2017.
WHAT’S in a name? Well, quite a lot according to a News UK department.
News Syndication has now become News Licensing to more accurately reflect what they do.
Robin Ashton, who heads up The News Building-based team at London Bridge, said: “We wanted clients and, perhaps more importantly, our internal partners to have a clear picture of what we do for them which ‘Syndication’ didn’t convey.
“As a department we handle a diverse range of business, from allowing clients to republish our images or text on their editorial platforms, to licensing our content for use in marketing or movies, the range of what our team does has increased over time.
“But at the heart of everything is a licence. So we thought we’d keep it simple and rebrand as News Licensing.”
The department is also launching a new digital platform.
Licensing operations and brand extension manager Allison Summers said: “Our new digital platform and asset management system will allow us to manage and showcase our content much more effectively.
“Featuring responsive design and a range of new content delivery options, we believe it will increase the awareness of the range of our content and, through ease of delivery, encourage clients to license more of it.”
WHAT THEY DO
- Licensing images, text, video and audio from our titles to other media for editorial use.
- Licensing our content and brands for commercial use, eg. best buy logos or reproduction of quotes and reviews for marketing use.
- Awards licensing – including The Sunday Times Best Companies to Work For, The Sunday Times Style Awards and The Times Top 50 Employers for Women.
- Enforcement – detecting and, working closely with the legal team, taking action on unlicensed use of our content.
- Database aggregation – licensing our content for use by professional information businesses.
- Brand extension – including calendars, physical prints eg. cartoons by Peter Brookes of The Times and bookazines.